David P. Fidler
James Louis Calamaras Professor of Law
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (812) 855-6403
- Location Baier Hall 348
- B.A., University of Kansas 1986
- J.D., Harvard Law School 1991
- M.Phil., University of Oxford 1988
- B.C.L., University of Oxford 1991
- International Law (B665)
- International Business Transactions (B735)
- International Trade (B759)
- National and Homeland Security Law (B574)
- Seminar in Counterinsurgency and Rule of Law Operations (B712)
- International Environmental Law
- International Criminal Law (B565)
- Cybersecurity Law and Policy: Crime, Terrorism, Espionage, and War in Cyberspace
- Seminar on Legal Dimensions of the Fight Against the Islamic State (L712)
- Graduated summa cum laude from the University of Kansas with a bachelor's degree in 1986
- Received J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School
- Received a M. Phil. with distinction and a B.C.L. with first class honours from the University of Oxford
- Associate, Sullivan & Cromwell, London (1991-1993)
- Associate, Stinson, Mag & Fizzell, Kansas City (1993-95)
- Lecturer, University of Oxford (1990-93)
Professor Fidler specializes in international law, with an emphasis on security issues. He is one of the world’s leading experts on cybersecurity law and policy, cyberspace and international law, international law and global health security, the rule of law in counterinsurgency and stability operations, biosecurity threats, arms control and non-proliferation concerning weapons of mass destruction, the international legal implications of “non-lethal” weapons, and the globalization of baseball.
Professor Fidler is an Adjunct Senior Fellow for Cybersecurity with the Council on Foreign Relations, an Associate Fellow with the Centre on Global Health Security at the Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House), a Senior Fellow at the Indiana University Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, and a Fellow with the Pacific and Asia Society. He is also on the Roster of Experts that advises the Director-General of the World Health Organization under the International Health Regulations (2005).
Professor Fidler has served as an international legal consultant to the World Bank (on foreign investment in Palestine), the World Health Organization, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (on global health issues), the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Science Board (on bioterrorism), U.S. Joint Forces Command (on rule of law issues in stability operations), the Interagency Afghanistan Integrated Civilian-Military Pre-Deployment Training Course organized by the Departments of Defense, State, Agriculture, and the U.S. Agency for International Development, and various non-governmental organizations in the areas of arms control and global health. He was a member of the Harvard University-London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine’s Independent Panel on the Global Response to Ebola and currently is a member of the Georgetown University-Lancet Commission on Law and Global Health. He serves as Chair of the International Law Association’s Study Group on Terrorism, Cybersecurity, and International Law.
- THE SNOWDEN READER (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2015)
- INDIA AND COUNTERINSURGENCY: LESSONS LEARNED (London: Routledge, 2009) [co-editor with Sumit Ganguly]
- RESPONDING TO NATIONAL SECURITY LETTERS: A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR LEGAL COUNSEL (Chicago: American Bar Association, 2009)[ co-author with Sarah Hughes]
- BIOSECURITY IN THE GLOBAL AGE: BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS, PUBLIC HEALTH, AND THE RULE OF LAW (Palo Alto: Stanford University Press, 2008)[co-author with Lawrence O. Gostin].
- SARS, GOVERNANCE, AND THE GLOBALIZATION OF DISEASE (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004).
- STEALING LIVES: THE GLOBALIZATION OF BASEBALL AND THE TRAGIC STORY OF ALEXIS QUIROZ (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2002) [co-author with Arturo J. Marcano].
- INTERNATIONAL LAW AND PUBLIC HEALTH: MATERIALS ON AND ANALYSIS OF GLOBAL HEALTH JURISPRUDENCE (Ardsley, NY: Transnational Publishers, 2000).
- EMPIRE AND COMMUNITY: EDMUND BURKE'S WRITINGS AND SPEECHES ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (David P. Fidler and Jennifer M. Welsh, eds.) (Boulder: Westview Press, 1999).
- INTERNATIONAL LAW AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1999).
- ROUSSEAU ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (Stanley Hoffmann and David P. Fidler eds.) (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1991).