Associate Professor of Law
- E-mail email@example.com
- Phone (812) 856-2474
- Location Baier Hall 320
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania 2007
- B.S., Tufts University 2001
- Joined the Maurer School of Law faculty in 2012
- Expert in intellectual property, especially patents
- Was previously a Microsoft Research Fellow at University of California – Berkeley School of Law and a Microsoft Fellow in Law, Economics, and Technology at the University of Michigan Law School
Professor Mattioli joined the Indiana University Maurer School of Law faculty in 2012. He teaches and writes on intellectual property and innovation policy more generally, with a special emphasis on patents, data, and contract law.
Mattioli’s research examines how the collective exchange of patents, data, and other forms of technological information relate to innovation policy. This theme canvases a variety of topics, including the structure, governance, and antitrust implications of patent pools, and how data pooling and the disclosure of metadata can advance “Big Data” technologies such as machine learning.
Mattioli has already made significant contributions to the field, having co-authored a book on Big Data (Big Data is Not a Monolith, MIT Press 2016), articles in leading law reviews, and book chapters that examine patent pools, data sharing, research consortia, novel forms of patent protection, and property "opt-outs." Before joining the faculty at IU, Mattioli served as the Microsoft Research Fellow at the University of California – Berkeley School of Law, and as the Microsoft Fellow in Law, Economics, and Technology at the University of Michigan Law School. Earlier in his professional life, Mattioli was a microchip designer.
- Big Data Is Not a Monolith (MIT Press, 2016) (co-editor with Cassidy Sugimoto and Hamid Ekbia)
- Measuring the Costs and Benefits of Patent Pools, 77 OHIO STATE LAW REVIEW (forthcoming, 2017) (with Robert Merges)
- The Data-Pooling Problem, 32 BERKELEY TECHNOLOGY LAW JOURNAL 1 (forthcoming, 2017)
- Disclosing Big Data, 99 MINNESOTA LAW REVIEW 525 (2014)
- Power and Governance in Patent Pools, 27 HARVARD JOURNAL OF LAW AND TECHNOLOGY 421 (2014)
- Big Data, Bigger Dilemmas, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLGOY (forthcoming, 2014) (with Hamid Ekbia, Cassidy Sugimoto, et al.).
- Communities of Innovation, 106 NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 103 (2012)
- Partial Patents, 111 COLUMBIA LAW REVIEW 207 (2011) (with Gideon Parchomovsky)
- Cancer: From a Kingdom to a Commons, in Katherine Strandburg et al. (eds.) GOVERNING MEDICAL RESEARCH COMMONS (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2017)
- The Economics of Patent Pools, in Peter Menell et al. (eds.) RESEARCH HANDBOOK ON THE ECONOMICS OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW, Vol. II (Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2017)
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Law
- Patent Licensing
- Patent Pools
- Contract Law
- Collective Licensing
- Innovation Policy