The LGBT+ Project at the IU Maurer School of Law provides pro bono legal research and advocacy services to Indiana LGBT+ advocacy organizations and LGBT+ Hoosiers.
The Project engages law students, attorneys, scholars, and LGBT+ advocates to address the unmet legal needs of Indiana’s LGBT+ community and support equality efforts of Indiana LGBT+ organizations.
Our current work
The LGBT+ Project provides pro bono services to the LGBT+ community in Bloomington through a variety of research projects, outreach events, and internship options. Our work includes:
- Administrative Rule 9 Policy Paper - paper that explains the benefits of using Rule 9 to seal court records for name and gender change cases
- Transgender Resource Guide to Bloomington - includes friendly legal providers, medical providers, and other information pertinent to transition
- Presentations to Prism Youth Group - presenting on the ramifications of proposed Indiana legislation on youth in schools
- Presentations to the Community - presenting on issues of transgender rights to Maurer law students and Bloominton community during one of Access To Justice's "Social Justice Thursday" events
- Creation of Externship through Attorneys at Indiana Legal Services - low-income LGBT+ civil internship available to CLI-eligible law students to represent local LGBT+ clients while working under an attorney at ILS
- Name Change and Gender Marker Correction Outreach Event - held at the Law School, event to reach potential clients eligible for legal representation from Indiana Legal Services, Student Legal Services, or Justice Unlocked for name changes and other legal issues
How to get involved
- Maurer students: The LGBT+ Project is seeking additional students who are interested in supporting the Indiana LGBT+ community.
- LGBT+ organizations and groups: Contact us if your group needs LGBT-related legal advice, or if you would like to be a partner with us on a specific project or initiative.
- Attorneys: We are always in need of attorneys willing to offer pro bono services.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glenda Garcia, 3L Director, She/Her
- Pat McGovern, 3L Director, He/Him
- Lynn Sartre, 2L Director, She/Her
- Celia Meredith, 1L Director, They/Them
- Amelia Linman, Outreach/Volunteer Attorney Coordinator, She/Her