Criminal Law Externship
B545 is taught by D. Main
The Criminal Law Externship provides an opportunity for selected second-year and third-year students to receive 1-4 hours of academic credit for their work at various prosecutor and public defender offices in south central Indiana.
The course is graded on a pass/fail basis. In order to #pass#, a student must:
1) Perform 50 hours of work per credit hour (i.e., 50, 100, 150 or 200 hours for 1, 2, 3 or 4 credits, respectively);
2) Maintain a time/activity log tracking hours worked and work activities;
3) Submit 1-4 reflective essays (one essay per credit hour) on a periodic basis regarding their externship experience (2-3 pages, double spaced);
4) Participate in 2 one-on-one meetings during the semester (one at the beginning and one at the end);
5) Submit a sample work-product (with employer#s approval); and
6) Complete a final self-evaluation form.
Prerequisites: Students must be eligible for certification as a #student legal intern# per Indiana Supreme Court Admission and Discipline Rule 2.1 (requiring completion of one-half of the hours required for law school graduation and enrollment in or completion or #The Legal Profession# course). Information regarding certified legal interns and the application are available at: (link)
Permission to register: Enrollment is limited and participation may be restricted to one semester. Students must obtain permission to register for the class from Prof. David Main. Interested students should submit a resume and schedule an interview with Prof. Main (email@example.com, 855-3028, Room 016B) as part of the approval process.
Bartholomew County Prosecutor
Brown County Prosecutor
Hamilton County Prosecutor
Greene County Prosecutor
Johnson County Prosecutor
Lawrence County Prosecutor and Lawrence County Public Defender
Marion County Prosecutor and Marion County Public Defender Agency
Monroe County Prosecutor and Monroe County Public Defender
Morgan County Prosecutor
Owen County Prosecutor
Other prosecutor and public defender offices by request
Note: Students may not both be paid and receive academic credit for the same externship hours.