Maurer School of Law Trial Competitions 2013-14
Contact Prof. Tanford: email@example.com
Last updated 1/13/14
The law school participates in 4 trial competitions. See Prof. Tanford with any questions about them.
1) The ABA Labor and Employment Law trial competition (8 students) held in Chicago in November. The competition team is selected from students enrolled in B720, Advanced Trial Practice.
2) The Thurgood Marshall Mock Trial Competition sponsored by NBLSA. Up to eight students are selected in November through tryouts.
3) An annual law school trial tournament in January, open to all 2L and 3L students, whether or not they have taken Trial Advocacy. It takes place over two weekends, January 26-27 and February 1-2. The competition is coordinated by the Student Trial Advocacy Board that operates under the general guidance of the Moot Court Board.
4) The AAJ Student Trial Advocacy Competition held in various cities. The competition team consists of 8 students and is selected from those who compete in the law school tournament. The competition will be in Mid-March. Those selected will need to join the AAJ ($15). Go to this link .
1) Those who have NOT taken Trial Advocacy (this includes those of you signed up for Trial Ad for the current spring semester) should download " Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Trial Procedure and Tactics."
2) The Federal Rules of Evidence
3) Additional readings:
... a) Making and Meeting Objections
... b) The 20 Basic Principles of Trial Advocacy
... c) Developing a good case theory
... d) Smooth exhibit handling
... d) How to introduce and use a blow-up of an exhibit
... e) A form to use when impeaching a witness for a prior inconsistent statement
... f) A digest of cases on the propriety of closing arguments
... g) How to respond to objections during opening statement and closing argument
... h) Handling evasive witnesses
... i) Impeaching a witness on cross who "forgets" facts favorable to your side
... j) How to impeach a witness who makes up facts (for purposes of the trial competition)