- Did New York State Just Anoint Virtual Currencies by Proposing to Regulate Them, or Will Regulation Spoil Them for Some?, 71 WASHINGTON AND LEE LAW REVIEW 51 (2014).
- Did the National Security Agency Destroy the Prospects for Confidentiality and Privilege When Lawyers Store Clients' Files in the Cloud--and What, if Anything, Can Lawyers and Law Firms Realistically Do in Response?, 41 NORTHERN KENTUCKY LAW REVIEW 405 (2014).
- Privacy and Data Security and Virtual Currencies: A Complex of Domestic and Foreign Compliance Standards and Issues to Consider, 13 PRIVACY AND SECURITY LAW REPORT 1933 (Nov.10, 2014).
- Emerging Issues Affecting Mobile Payments, the Internet of Things, and Other Uses of Radio Frequency Identification Devices and Near-Field Communications and Conclusion in RFIDS, NEAR-FIELD COMMUNICATIONS, AND MOBILE PAYMENTS: A GUIDE FOR LAWYERS, (Sarah Hughes, Candace Jones, & Stephen T. Middlebrook, Eds.)
Chicago: American Bar Association, 2013.
- RFIDS, NEAR-FIELD COMMUNICATIONS, AND MOBILE PAYMENTS: A GUIDE FOR LAWYERS, (Ed. with Candace Jones & Stephen T. Middlebrook)
Chicago: American Bar Association, 2013.
- Red Skies in the Morning—Professional Ethics at the Dawn of Cloud Computing (with Roland L. Trope), 38 WILLIAM MITCHELL LAW REVIEW 111 (2011). [Journal Website]
- Developments in the Laws Governing Electronic Payments Made Through Gift Cards, Debit and Prepaid Cards, Credit Cards, and Direct Deposits of Federal Benefits (with Stephen T. Middlebrook), 66 BUSINESS LAWYER 159 (2010). [HeinOnline]
- Payments Data Security Breaches and Oil Spills: What Lessons Can Payments Security Learn from the Laws Governing Remediation of the Exxon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon, and Other Oil Spills?, 5 BROOKLYN JOURNAL OF CORPORATE, FINANCIAL
& COMMERCIAL LAW 111 (2010). [HeinOnline]
Federal Payroll, Gift, and Prepaid Card Developments: FDIC Deposit Insurance Eligibility and the Credit CARD Act of 2009, 65 BUSINESS LAWYER 261 (2009). [HeinOnline] [SSRN]
- RESPONDING TO NATIONAL SECURITY LETTERS, A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR LEGAL COUNSEL (with David Fidler). Chicago: American Bar Association, 2009.
- Some Basic Concerns about the CFPA Legislation and a Partial Response to Professor Bar-Gill’s “The Consumer Financial Protection Agency: Sorting the Critiques”, 1 LOMBARD STREET 31 (2009). [PDF]
- Developments in the Laws Affecting Electronic Payments and Stored-Value Products: A Year of Stored-Value Bankruptcies, Significant Legislative Proposals, and Federal Enforcement Actions (with Stephen T. Middlebrook and Patricia J. Allouise), 64 BUSINESS LAWYER 219 (2008). [HeinOnline]
- Duty Issues in the Ever-Changing World of Payments Processing: Is It Time for New Rules?, 83 CHICAGO-KENT LAW REVIEW 721 (2008). [HeinOnline] [SSRN]
- Non-U.C.C. Payment Methods (with Fred H. Miller, et. al.) in HAWKLAND'S UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE SERIES v. 10A. Eagan, MN: Thomson Reuters, 2008.
- Overview of Electronic Payment Regulation in the United States (with Stephen T. Middlebrook), in E-PAYMENTS: LAW AND REGULATION (Thaer Sabri, Ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Developments in the Law Concerning Stored-Value and Other Electronic Payment Products (with Stephen T. Middlebrook and Broox W. Peterson), 63 BUSINESS LAWYER 237 (2007). [HeinOnline]
Developments in the Law Concerning Stored Value and Other Prepaid Payment Products (with Stephen T. Middlebrook and Broox W. Peterson), 62 BUSINESS LAWYER 229 (2006). [HeinOnline]
A Case for Regulating Cyberpayments, 51 ADMINISTRATIVE LAW REVIEW 809 (1999). Reprinted in THE BEST IN E-COMMERCE LAW: THE FULL TEXT OF INSIGHTFUL ARTICLES TO HELP YOU OPERATE PROFITABLY ON THE INTERNET AND MANAGE THE LEGAL RISKS OF E-COMMERCE (Warren E. Agin, Ed.), New York: Bowne, 2001.
- Law Enforcement Monitoring of Electric Payments Systems, in PRIVACY IN ELECTRONIC COMMERCE: A COMPENDIUM OF ESSAYS ON THE USE OF INFORMATION (L. Richard Fischer, Ed.). Washington, DC: American Bankers Association, 1997.
A Call for International Legal Standards for Emerging Retail Electronic Payments Systems, 15 ANNUAL REVIEW OF BANKING LAW 197 (1996).
Banking and Deposit Insurance: An Unfinished Agenda for the 1990s, 68 INDIANA LAW JOURNAL 835 (1993).
Policing Money Laundering Through Funds Transfers: A Critique of Through Funds Transfers—A Critique of Bank Secrecy Act Regulation, 67 INDIANA LAW JOURNAL 283 (1992).