Guide to the OTA Legacy on Cd-rom
The collection of publications on this five CD set from the Office of Technology Assessment (OTA) is the first full compilation of the hundreds of papers and reports compiled over the twenty three year history of the Office. These documents, reports, background papers and contractor reports were written for the use of Congress and analyze scientific and technological issues that were and often continue to be relevant to public policy. Historical materials of the OTA are also included in the set.
Organization of OTA Legacy:
A color coded "navigation ellipse" provides a means to move from one of the four sections of the disk to another:
- Orange moves the user to the "guide screen" from which the other sections of the disk may be accessed.
- Red moves the user to the "Technology Assessment and Work of Congress: history of the OTA" section.
- Blue moves the user to the "Publications" list where the full text of the documents may be accessed by title, year, or topic.
- Gray moves the user to the "About this Disk" section that describes in detail how searching may be accomplished.
The Welcome Page allows access to the Table of Contents and direct entry to the documents contained in Volumes Oneand Two. To change from volume to volume, return to the Welcome Page by using the File pull-down menu or by using the "Go Back" button.
The Appropriations CD uses Adobe Acrobat software although not all of Adobe Acrobat's features are available for this document.
There are three components to the screen: the overview area in the left frame, the document area in the main window and the toolbar which spans the top margin of the document frames.
- The overview contains broad categories of topics which, when highlighted and selected,
provides more detailed subheadings. Further selection accesses the text of the document
- The document area contains the image of the text of the document being searched.
- The toolbar in comprised of buttons used for viewing, navigating, and searching the document.
Select an action by clicking on the appropriate button/icon:
|Click the Page Only button to view the document in a single window.|
|Click the Bookmarks and Page button to view the overview and document windows. "Bookmarks" is a term in Adobe Acrobat that refers to the content categories.|
|Click the Thumbnails and Page button to display small images of each document page in the overview window. Click on the "thumbnail" image to go to that page of the document.|
|Select the Hand button to move a document to within the document window. Use the Hand to "grab" the document page and drag as needed.|
|Select the Zoom buttons to magnify or reduce the page image.|
|Use the Select Text button to mark text that will be cut and pasted into a word-processing program.|
|Click the First Page or Last Page button to advance to the first or last page of a document.|
|Click the Previous Page or Next Page button to move through the document one page at a time.|
|Click the Go Back or Go Forward buttons to retrace your path used in searching.|
|Click the Actual Size button to display the document image at 100% of its actual size.|
|Click the Fit Page button to fit the whole document image within the document window.|
|Click the Fit Width button to make the width of the document image fit within the document window.|
|Use the Find tool to search for terms or phrases within a document. A box will appear in which the terms may be entered.|
Return to Guides to Research and Electronic Sources