Guide to the World Factbook on Cd-rom
The World Factbook is an almanac-type guide to countries of the world providing country profiles arranged by geographic, demographic, governmental, economic, communications and defense categories. Several appendices provide tables of abbreviations, an outline of U.N. system, international organizations, selected international environmental agreements, weights and measures, country data codes, a cross reference list of geographic names and basic maps of countries and regions. The Handbook of International Economic Statistics is also available on this CD-ROM. Also available on the Internet at available on the Internet at: http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
Select World Factbook from the CIA collection list
FINDING YOUR WAY:
The "Book Window" contains two parts:
- Table of Contents
- Main Window
The Title Bar is located at the upper margin of the Book Window; the Search Panel is located at the lower margin of the Book Window.
- Browse by selecting a category in the Table of Contents, then scroll through the text presented
- Expand the Table of Contents to see further subdivisions by clicking on the plus sign (+) preceding each heading
- Conversely, compress the Table of Contents by clicking on the minus sign (-) which appears after the Table of Contents has been expanded.
Search for a term or phrase by entering terms in the space provided in the Search Panel.
- use up to ten words in a phrase (no quotation marks necessary)
- search engine is not case sensitive
- cancel a search by clicking on the Clear button
- the "wildcard" (*) serves as a place holder (as in wom*n)
- proximity searches use term connectors (after, before, of, near, within, word, words) to link search terms. Sample Search: reform within two words of tax collection
- use the "Help" pull down menu of detailed software documentation
Return to Guides to Research and Electronic Sources