A. James Barnes
Professor of Law and Professor of Public and Environmental Affairs
- E-mail email@example.com
- Phone (812) 855-4079
- Location Baier Hall 316
- B.S., Michigan State University 1964
- J.D., Harvard University 1967
- Dean, IU O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs (1988-2000)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Deputy Administrator and General Counsel
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Chief of Staff to Administrator William Ruckelshaus
Professor Barnes is a nationally recognized expert in environmental law and policy and the co-author of two leading textbooks in business law. At Indiana Law and at the IU O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs, where he served as dean from 1988-2000, Barnes teaches about environmental law, environmental policy, ethics and the public official, and law and public policy. He previously taught in the business schools at Indiana University and Georgetown University.
In 1970, Barnes participated in the formation of EPA, serving as chief of staff to the first administrator, William Ruckelshaus, and later as EPA General Counsel and Deputy Administrator. He also served as General Counsel of the U.S Department of Agriculture, as a trial attorney in the Department of Justice, and as a partner in a major Washington, D.C. law firm.
He has written, testified and spoken extensively on environmental issues, consults on a variety of environmental matters, and mediates environmental disputes. He currently chairs the EPA Environmental Finance Advisory Board and is a member of the Department of Energy's Environmental Management Advisory Board.
Barnes is also a fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration. He recently served on four Academy panels to provide advice (1) to the Department of Homeland Security on steps to protect the country during the presidential transition; (2) to the Executive Branch on processes for developing environmental and natural resource indicators; 3) to Congress on desirable changes in how the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers should change its method of prioritizing water resource projects; and (4) to the EPA on how it might better factor environmental justice considerations into its permitting processes.
During his tenure as dean of the SPEA, U.S. News & World Report ranked the institution third among public affairs programs and first in environmental policy.
In the media
- Quoted in "EPA's impeachment mantra: Business as usual," Greenwire (10/3/2019)
- Quoted in "Former EPA officials in Indiana say plans to downgrade science office wrong move," Indiana Public Media (10/1/2018)
- Quoted in "Trump superfund nominee recuses self from DowDuPont’s hazardous waste sites," WTIU (8/8/2018)
- Quoted in "Pence family gas stations left costly environmental legacy," The Associated Press (7/13/2018)
- Business Law: The Ethical, Global and E-Commerce Environment, 14th ed. (with Jane P. Mallor, et al.). Boston: McGraw Hill/Irwin, 2010.
- Implementing Presidential Policy Agendas Administratively: A View from the Inside, 69 PUBLIC ADMINISTRATIVE REIVEW 586 (2009).
- Business Law: the Ethical, Global and E-Commerce Environment, Mallor, Barnes, Bowers, and Langvardt: published by McGraw-Hill/Irwin (14th edition 2009); (13th edition 2006); (12th edition 2003).
- Business Law and the Regulatory Environment, Mallor, Barnes, Bowers, Phillips and Langvardt; published by McGraw Hill/Irwin (11th edition 2000); 10th edition 1997).
- Business Law and the Regulatory Environment; Metzger, Mallor, Barnes, Bowers, Phillips and Langvardt (9th edition 1995); Metzger, Mallor, Barnes, Bowers and Phillips (8th edition 1992; 7th edition 1989; 6th edition 1986).
- Business Law: Principles and Cases, Lusk, Hewitt, Donnell and Barnes; published by Richard D. Irwin Co. (5th edition 1982, 4th edition 1978, 3rd edition 1974, 2nd edition 1970).
- Law for Business, Barnes, Dworkin, and Richards; published by McGraw Hill/Irwin (10th edition 2008); (9th edition 2005); (8th edition 2002); (7th edition 1999); (6th edition 1996); (5th edition 1994); (4th edition 1991); (3rd edition 1987).
- Law for Business, Donnell, Barnes and Metzger; published by Richard D. Irwin Co. (Revised edition 1983; 1st edition 1980).
- Law of Commercial Transactions and Business Associations, Bowers, Mallor, Barnes, Phillips and Langvardt; published by Richard D. Irwin Co. (1st Edition 1995).
- "Air Pollution Control in the United States" in Environmental Law and Policy in the European Union and the United States (R. Baker, editor); published by Praeger (1997).
- Environmental law and policy
- Commercial law
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Law and public policy