Brian Jeffrey Broughman
Professor of Law
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (812) 856-0631
- Location Baier Hall 333
- B.A., University of Chicago 1998
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School 2001
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley 2008
Professor Broughman joined the law faculty in 2009. Prior to coming to Indiana he was a visiting assistant professor at the University of California at Berkeley, where he also completed his PhD. Broughman has also been a visiting professor at the University of Southern California.
Professor Broughman's research interests include corporate governance, financial contracting (particularly venture capital finance), and mergers and acquisitions. He was awarded a Kauffman Fellowship for his dissertation project, which examined the role of independent directors and the risk of opportunistic conduct in firms financed by venture capital. From 2013 to 2014, Professor Broughman served as the inaugural president of the Law and Entrepreneurship Association.
Broughman has presented his research at several academic conferences, including the conference on Empirical Legal Studies (CELS) and the American Law and Economics Association (ALEA) annual conference, and he has published in both peer-reviewed and student-edited journals. At Indiana Law he teaches corporate law, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions. He served as associate dean for research and director of the Center for Law, Society, and Culture from 2015-2017.
- Merger Negotiations in the Shadow of Judicial Appraisal, 62 L. & ECON. 281 (2019) (with Audra Boone and Antonio Macias)
- Shareholder Decision Rights in Acquisitions: Evidence from Tender Offers, 53 CORP. FIN. 225 (2018) (with Audra Boone and Antonio Macias)
- CEO Side-Payments in M&A Deals, 2017 BYU L. REV. 67 (2017).
- After the Override: an Empirical Analysis of Shadow Precedent, 46 J. LEGAL STUD. 51 (2017) (with Deborah Widiss).
- Delaware Law as Lingua Franca: Theory and Evidence, 57 J.L. & ECON. 865 (2014) (with Jesse Fried and Darian Ibrahim).
- Do VCs Use Inside Rounds to Dilute Founders? Some Evidence from Silicon Valley, 18 J. CORP. FIN. 1104 (2012) (with Jesse Fried).
- Renegotiation of Cash Flow Rights in the Sale of VC-Backed Firms, 95 J. FIN. ECON. 384 (2010) (with Jesse Fried).
- Corporate governance
- Entrepreneurial finance
- Law and economics