The LGBTQ+ Project at the IU Maurer School of Law provides pro bono legal research and advocacy services to Indiana LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations and LGBTQ+ Hoosiers. The Project engages law students, attorneys, scholars, and LGBTQ+ advocates to address the unmet legal needs of Indiana’s LGBTQ+ community and support equality efforts of Indiana LGBTQ+ organizations.
Our current work
The LGBTQ+ Project provides pro bono services to LGBTQ+ communities in Bloomington through a variety of research projects and outreach events. Our work includes:
- Community presentations to various community and advocacy-focused groups on topics such as the ramifications of current and proposed legislation and issues of LGBTQ+ rights
- Advocacy trainings and workshops: Project members design and facilitate trainings to develop advocacy skills relevant to LGBTQ+ communities and collaborate with legal professionals to offer workshops that develop other advocacy skills, such as writing comments for proposed regulatory and/or legislative changes
- Name and gender marker change fair: Held at the Law School, this event seeks to explain the process of pro se changes to identity documents for community members, under the guidance of local volunteer attorneys
- . . .and more! LGBTQ+ Project members have the opportunity to suggest and develop new projects every semester, and we look forward to identifying the needs in our communities so that we can better direct our work in the Bloomington area.
How to get involved
- Indiana Law students: The LGBTQ+ Project is seeking students who are interested in supporting the Indiana LGBTQ+ communities.
- LGBTQ+ organizations and groups: Contact us if you would like to partner with us on a specific project or initiative.
- Attorneys: We are always interested in connecting with attorneys willing to offer pro bono services, and we would especially encourage attorneys in the Bloomington area to get in touch with opportunities for student involvement.
- Contact us at email@example.com
- Lynn Sartre, 3L Director, She/Her (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Celia Meredith, 2L Director, They/Them (email@example.com)
- Erica Gbur, 2L Director, She/Her (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alex Dowland, 1L Director, He/Him/His (email@example.com)
- Kat Grant, Communications Director (They/Them/Theirs) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Heather Van Ness, Outreach Coordinator, She/Her (email@example.com)