Why choose Indiana Law?
As a highly qualified legal scholar, you have many options for graduate studies. Our superb faculty, community support, and great location make Indiana Law a wise choice.
The approach to the study of law is different from that of other countries. An Indiana Law LLM student explains how in this video.
Your key to global success
Globalization is affecting almost every area of law. An international graduate degree from Indiana Law is your key to success in this new and rapidly changing world. Here are some of the reasons why:
World renowned faculty and programs
Our LLM program is more than 100 years old — one of the oldest in the US. Our tradition and experience combine with the expertise and global prestige of our faculty members to bring you first-rate educational experience — for thousands of dollars less than at other universities.
Flexibility, support, and opportunity
The Law School has a six-person staff dedicated to international graduate students and programs. Students also enjoy excellent support from the university's Office of International Services. These offices are at your service for assistance with visas, housing, and other ways to make your stay in Bloomington more comfortable. Indiana Law graduate students benefit from the support of a six-person Office of Graduate Legal Studies and International Programs. This office is the home away from home for international students while they are in law school.
Some of the many ways in which we help you are:
- Teaching assistants to explain and clarify class assignments
- International peer group advisors – JD student peers who help you settle into Bloomington and get acclimated to law school life
- Specialized courses in legal discourse and writing, and an introductory course in American law for foreign lawyers
- An optional intensive course in legal English offered the summer before the fall semester
- A professional development series that helps prepare you for the job market, both in the United States and in your home country
- Assistance in finding internships while you're in the US
- One-on-one academic advising and bar exam application and preparation
- If you're an aspiring academic, special programming to help you prepare for the profession, including the doctoral colloquium, a course on scholarly legal writing, and course development and teaching workshops
- Help with visa issues, integration into US culture, and other personal matters that may arise during your stay
You'll also have the benefit of Indiana University's global engagement. IU is one of the nation's leading public research universities, with a major commitment to a place on the world's stage. IU's new School of Global and International Studies brings together a distinguished community of scholars, students, staff, and alumni united by a common commitment to meet the global challenges of the 21st century with world-shaping ideas and world-altering graduates. Indiana University's Global Gateways in China, Europe, India, and Mexico connect the IU community with resources that make international programs, projects, and other activities possible.
You already know that law school can be difficult and often time-consuming. So why spend your graduate school year in a crowded urban area, juggling metro passes, dodging traffic, and paying high rent? In Bloomington, you’ll find a more relaxed pace — a college town focused on students, but with the amenities, sophistication, and fun of a large city. Everything you need is within reach in Bloomington, so you can bike to campus and shopping or take advantage of free bus service, and focus on what’s really important!
Our Life in Bloomington page shows you more about what it's like here.