Professor of Law and Val Nolan Faculty Fellow
- Enduring Hierarchies in American Legal Education (With Olufunmilayo B. Arewa and Andrew P. Morris) 89 INDIANA LAW JOURNAL 941 (2014)
- A Blueprint for Change, 40 PEPPERDINE LAW REVIEW 461 (2013). [SSRN] [Journal Website]
- What Every Law Student Needs to Excel as an Attorney: Introducing the Fromm Six, THE NATIONAL JURIST 20 (March, 2013). [PDF]
- The Law School Bubble: Federal Loans Inflate College Budgets, but How Long Will that Last if Law Grads Can't Pay Their Bills (with Rachel M. Zahorsky), 98 ABA JOURNAL 30 (Jan. 2012). [HeinOnline]
- The Pedigree Problem: Are Law School Ties Choking the Profession (with Rachel M. Zahorsky), 98 ABA JOURNAL 36 (July 2012). [HeinOnline]
- Paradigm Shift (with Rachel M. Zahorsky), 97 ABA JOURNAL 40 (July 2011). [HeinOnline]
- Three Generations of U.S. Lawyers: Generalists, Specialists, Project Managers, 70 MARYLAND LAW REVIEW 373 (2011). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- The Class of 2009: Recession or Restructuring?, 22 NALP BULLETIN 17 (July 2010).
- Law Firm Strategies for Human Capital: Past, Present, Future, in LAW FIRMS, LEGAL CULTURE, AND LEGAL PRACTICE: SPECIAL ISSUE (Austin Sarat, Ed.). Bradford, GBR: Emerald Group Publishing, 2010.
- The Bursting of the Pedigree Bubble, 21 NALP BULLETIN 1 (July 2009). [PDF]
- An Empirical Analysis of Lateral Lawyer Trends from 2000 to 2007: The Emerging Equilibrium for Corporate Law Firms (with Leonard Bierman), 22 GEORGETOWN JOURNAL OF LEGAL ETHICS 1395 (2009). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- Legal Education in North Carolina: A Report for Potential Students, Lawmakers, and the Public (with A.P. Morriss). Raleigh, NC: John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy, 2008. [PDF]
- The Elastic Tournament: A Second Transformation of the Big Law Firm (with Marc Galanter), 60 STANFORD LAW REVIEW 1867 (2008). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- Measuring Outcomes: Post-Graduation Measures of Success in the U.S. News & World Report Law School Rankings (with Andrew P. Morriss), 83 INDIANA LAW JOURNAL 791 (2008). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- The New Math of Legal Education (with Andrew P. Morriss), 12 THE YOUNG LAWYER 1 (July, 2008). [PDF]
- What Rankings Don’t Say About Costly Choices (with Andrew P. Morriss), THE NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL (April 14, 2008).
- Working Class Judges (with C. Zorn and J.J. Czarnezki), 88 BOSTON UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 829 (2008). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- The Globalization of the Legal Profession, 14 INDIANA JOURNAL OF GLOBAL LEGAL STUDIES 1 (2007). [HeinOnline]
- Rank Economics: Law Schools Have No One to Blame but Themselves for the Power of U.S. News Rankings (with Andrew J. Morriss), THE AMERICAN LAWYER 81 (June, 2007).
- Book Review. Young Associates in Trouble (with David Zaring), Laird, Utterly Monkey, Roosevelt, In the Shadow of the Law, 105 MICHIGAN LAW REVIEW 1087 (2007). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- An Empirical Study of Single-Tier Versus Two-Tier Partnerships in the Am Law 200, 84 NORTH CAROLINA LAW REVIEW 1691 (2006). [HeinOnline]
- Student Quality as Measured by LSAT Scores: Migration Patterns in the U.S. News Rankings Era (with Andrew P. Morriss), 81 INDIANA LAW JOURNAL 163 (2006). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- From Insull to Enron: Corporate (Re)Regulation After the Rise and Fall of Two Energy Icons (with Richard D. Cudahy), 26 ENERGY LAW JOURNAL 35 (2005). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- Book Review. Second Look at the Second City: Chicago Lawyers Changed a lot in 20 Years, Heinz, et al., Urban Lawyers: The New Structure of the Bar, LEGAL AFFAIRS (November/December 2005). [Journal Website]
- The LSAT, Law School Exams, and Meritocracy: The Surprising and Undertheorized Role of Test-Taking Speed, 82 TEXAS LAW REVIEW 975 (2004). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- Speed as a Variable on Law School Exams and the LSAT, LAW SCHOOL ADMISSIONS COUNCIL Research Report 03-03 (2004).
- Clear Sailing Agreements: A Special Form of Collusion in Class Action Settlements, 77 TULANE LAW REVIEW 813 (2003). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- Demography and Desegregation in the Cleveland Public Schools: Toward a Comprehensive Theory of Educational Failure and Success, 26 NEW YORK UNIVERSITY REVIEW OF LAW & SOCIAL CHANGE 457 (2002). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- Reconciling the Juridical Links Doctrine with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Article III, Comment, 67 UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW REVIEW 1347 (2000). [SSRN] [HeinOnline]
- In the Zone: How Enterprise Zones Have Promoted Urban Sprawl, 2 ECOCITY CLEVELAND 1 (Dec. 1994).